Monday, November 14, 2011

Hanbok QC

That's QC for quality check. After many occasions of prancing around in my hanbok and examining it in the mirror with a very critical eye, I've noticed some issues that need to be rectified:

1) Early on while drafting I failed to spot this in the Folkwear, or at least I thought it didn't really matter, but it does make a big difference if you are looking for authenticity. In Folkwear, the opening of the jeogori (pieces F and G) have a triangular shape as they slant towards the middle. However having made mine according to this pattern piece, I observed that you end up with a weird flapping triangle of excess material when you tie the jacket together. Hopefully the image gives a better explanation; sorry for the poor graphics quality!

Now if you follow the blue lines, the Folkwear pattern (on top) has a sloping diagonal line while the Korean pattern ends with two straight almost vertical lines on either sides of the jeogori. This gives a much sleeker shape that reflects the Y necklines of Chinese dress which were an influence on Korean clothing. It is pretty obvious in this picture of Ha Ji Won:

The Y line is even more explicit in this picture:


So here's another bit where Folkwear has gone wrong...I will have to unpick the lining and redo this edge.

2) There are apparently different widths and ways to tie the jeogori close: The 18th century one had a much thinner tie and the bow was slightly tilted to the side, as you can see from Ha Ji Won's picture. The bottom hanbok, in the modern silhouette, has a much wider ribbon that is positioned laterally across the bust. Another thing to be modified.

3) I'm going to be making another chima-mine is currently the epitome of boredom when I look into the mirror-or perhaps I'm way too fastidious, but I'm not too happy with it. I thought of putting gold foil trim around the bottom but in retrospect that would look tacky and very shiny. Also, I think I want a broader skirt and more pleats at the waistline, going to try it with 4 yards of cloth this time. Updates later on!

By the way, if anyone is from Singapore and would like to buy my chima, feel free to get in touch; I will sell it to you at cost price. Thank you for reading!

5 comments :

  1. hi do you sell hanboks! :) I'm interested in buying a set, do email me at sallyyth at gmail thank you! I'm from Singapore btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally, I don't sell them but if you're interested I can consider making you a set :) Am quite busy at the moment though...will probably only be free in June :( Thank you for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this! Its going to be very helpful when I get around to making one for myself. I appreciate the fitting tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I will like to check if you can help to custom make the modern jeogori only instead of the whole hanbok? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pei Yuet, thanks for stopping by! I would love to help you customize one if I had the time, but am really busy with work right now that I don't have time to even continue my own costuming projects :( You can try ordering from http://www.sonjjang-hanbok.com though, they have a gorgeous selection of hanboks and I'm sure they would be happy to make a jeogori for you.

      Delete